Wednesday, April 17 begins Earth Week 2013 and what better way to celebrate than by "Greening" your hiring process! At Hireology we are always looking for ways to make our carbon footprint a little less noticeable, from recycling our paper and turning our computers off at night to purchasing silverware to keep at the office for lunchtime.
Each of these little changes makes a difference when it comes to "greening" our Earth but it also got us thinking about how to "green" the hiring process. Below is a list we put together containing several Hireologists recommendations for a more eco-friendly hiring process.
8. Skype interviews. Reduce the number of cars on the road and pollution by conducting first round interviews over Skype or the phone. Candidates will love not having to navigate an unfamiliar building and you will love not paying travel expenses!
7. Reuse. Keep glass cups and mugs for when candidates come in for interviews. Instead of offering a water bottle or paper cup of coffee, offer a fully reusable and washable cup.
6. Work from home. Take one day a month or week to conduct phone and skype interviews, sort resumes, order background checks, and score interviews. You not going to the office = one less car on the road and one less person using electricity. Eco-friendly huh?
5. Stop printing off interview guides. These days everyone and their brother has an iPad, computer, tablet, Google Glasses or some sort of device to record their notes. When you print off a 4-5 page interview every day, it wasts paper and its less organized then having a file on your computer that you can automatically search through.
4. Stop printing off resumes. And stop accepting paper applications and storing them in your office! An 18” deep, 3 drawer filing cabinet holds about 120,590 resumes which would take up less than 4 GB on a cloud drive. Instead, invest in an ATS or resume tracker so all of your resumes will be stored and organized online. We can recommend a great one here!
3. Forget the dress code. We know, your mouth is open just THINKING about abolishing the office dress code. But bear with us, imagine employees coming to work in casual clothes that they feel most comfortable in. It will cut down on heating, cooling, boost productivity and silence those employees who constantly argue about the temperature of the office (we're looking at you Morgan!) Not to mention a great benefit to let slip when recruiting candidates, millennials love their style!
2. Open the windows! Let the natural sunlight stream through the windows in the office. Studies show it boosts productivity and cuts down energy costs. You can also start growing cool plants in your window like venus fly traps which will make for good conversation when a candidate tours your office.
1. Use a reusable mug. When your hiring process keeps you up late at night because you have no idea who to interview or let alone hire, you are going to need coffee in the morning. Instead of grabbing the nearest paper or stryofoam cup, bring in your own quirky mug like fellow Hireologists Mike, Anthony, Erin and Michael. Check out their assortment in the pic to the right.
Overall having an eco-friendly hiring process will also make your more organized and tech-savvy. Two things that give the candidate a better experience when they apply.
Having trouble deciding who to hire? You need a scorecard! Download our free guide today: