The desire to be a “hip” and “cool” company is common among most businesses these days. Some bring in a modern espresso machine, some implement Thursday night happy hours, and some ask weird interview questions.
The Top Ten Weirdest Interview Questions:
1. “ If you were a pizza deliveryman, how would you benefit from scissors?
- Asked at Apple
2. “ If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?
- Asked at Red Frog Events
3. “ If you were a box of cereal, what would you be and why?”
- Asked at Bed Bath & Beyond
4. “ Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?”
- Asked at Xerox
5. “ How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the US?”
- Asked at Factual
6. “ How does the internet work?”
- Asked at Akamai
7. “ You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?"
- Asked at Urban Outfitters
8. “ What was the last gift you gave someone?”
- Asked at Gallup
9. "Describe to me the process and benefits of wearing a seat belt."
- Asked at Active Network
10. “What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?”
- Asked at Applebee’s
While these questions are creative and can easily get the brain juices flowing, there are many reasons why they aren't going to find you your next best hire.
A candidate’s answer to an interview question should be more than a few words long. Asking an odd question makes the candidate feel unprepared and it will most likely elicit a short response.
The main reason hiring managers use weird interview questions is because they are looking for culture fit. Surprise! Bizarre questions have nothing to do with your company culture. You may be creative and goofy by asking them, but the candidate’s response won’t be an answer that proves they’ll fit into the company dynamic. There are five questions that are best for hiring for culture fit. A weird question isn't one of them.
Last, but not least, asking odd questions wastes valuable time when you could be asking about their previous experience. It’s more important to know the ins and outs of their last job than why they think a tennis ball is fuzzy.
Don't get us wrong...there are some weird interview questions that DO work. Take a look here: